Digital Commons

Computers, scanners, printers, plotter, help desk, comfy chairs, and more!


  • Windows 10 (~50 machines)
  • Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (~10 machines)
  • Scanners: standard (one with document feeder), tabloid, large format (40-inch)
  • Plotter: 36-inch wide, heavy coated paper (pay with Husky Card)
  • Printer: color, duplex, letter/legal/tabloid (pay with Husky Card)
  • Wacom Intuos3 Graphics Tablets (available for in-lab use from help desk)
  • Presentation / collaboration spaces with projectors, comfy chairs, conference tables
  • Faculty loaner equipment pick-up/drop-off (at help desk)


  • Contex Large Format Scanner
    Recommended Settings:

    • Resolution: 150 dpi
    • Color Depth: 24 bit
    • B/W: Graytone

    When using tracing paper with the large format scanner, use fixed paper width (preferred) and a white backing sheet (cut off what you need from the roll above the large cutter, use trace tape on leading edge and sides).

  • Epson GT-15000 Tabloid Scanner (use VueScan software)
  • Epson GT-2500 Scanner with Feeder (use Acrobat Pro, especially for multi page documents)

Printing + Plotting

Gould Hall Dawg Prints self-serve printers

UW Creative Communications has placed two self-serve printers in Gould Hall. A monochrome laser printer is in the BE Library (Gould 334) at the east end of the space, while the Digital Commons (Gould 007) has a color laser printer. Both printers are stocked with 8.5″ x 11″ (letter) and 11″ x 17″ (tabloid) paper; the Digital Commons printer also supports 8.5″ x 14″ (legal) paper. CBE lab/studio computers have drivers for these already installed. You can get driver installation packages for installation on your Mac or Windows computer by going to the UW Creative Communications link.

Paper sizes and prices (payment options: Husky Card, Dawg Prints Card, or Department Card (for CBE faculty/staff)) are below.  If your print job fails due to problems with the Dawg Prints system, you may be able to get a refund by filling out an online Refund Request Form on the Creative Communications site.

paper size

black & white

black & white



8.5″ x 11″ (letter)





8.5″ x 14″ (legal)





11″ x 17″ (tabloid)





Gould Hall color plotter

The Digital Commons has an HP DesignJet Z6100PS plotter with 36-inch wide paper (35 pound, heavy coated paper (roll), matte finish (ASTM D-523)) that can be accessed from computers in the Gould Hall computing labs (as “Student Color Plotter”). Since this is a delicate piece of equipment, it is not self-serve like the Dawg Prints printer. After sending a plot to the Student Color Plotter, you’ll need to review it with a consultant at the Digital Commons help desk during regular business hours before it is released for plotting. Pickup and payment is also at the Digital Commons help desk.

Tips for plotting in the Digital Commons (PDF).

The plotter is intended for use by BE students. However, individuals outside BE (but associated with the University of Washington) may visit the Digital Commons and plot to the plotter on a non-interfering basis, with the understanding that non-BE plot jobs will be lowered in priority to accommodate BE student needs. Please note that the BE plotting service is not able to support large-volume plotting for classes outside the College of Built Environments. Non-BE classes needing plotting services should use the general-access facilities in Odegaard and Mary Gates Hall.

Plots are limited to a maximum length of 120 inches (10 feet). Pricing (payment options: Husky Card, Dawg Prints Card, or Department Card (for CBE faculty/staff)):

price per running foot

Students/Faculty/Staff in BE departments


Other UW Students/Faculty/Staff


The length of a plot is measured by the length of paper used, not the image size on the plot. Please note that if you produce a plot, you’ll need to pay for it unless there’s a problem with the system that caused it to plot incorrectly. So please preview your plots to be sure that you’re sending what you intend to send to the plotter.